Instruction, Tutorials, Patient-Oriented Evidence: AAMC MedEdPortal
March 11, 2008
Posted by on
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is the professional society and advocate for academic institutions granting M.D. degrees. Members of AAMC include 129 medical colleges in the United States and 17 colleges in Canada. AAMC is the site sponsor for MedEdPortal, the purpose of which is described as “their web-based resource for sharing and publishing educational materials across institutions and [medical] disciplines”.
This week I received an email from MedEdPortal announcing that on Monday, Mar 17 2008, from 11:00AM to 11:45AM (ET), an online interactive tutorial will be given for those who want to learn more about contents and features of this educational collection. To sign up for the online class – click on this link. The class is free to those in the U.S., international users must pay a fee to AAMC to participate.
Here is an excerpt from the “About” page on MedEdPORTAL explaining the scope and purpose of the site:
- MedEdPORTAL is new approach to online publication that offers peer review for teaching resources… including tutorials, virtual patients, cases, lab manuals, assessment instruments, faculty development materials and more.
- MedEdPORTAL was designed to promote collaboration and educational scholarship by facilitating the open exchange of peer-reviewed teaching resources. The MedEdPORTAL Team launched the application in January 2006.
- MedEdPORTAL is designed to help medical faculty publish and share educational resources… it focuses exclusively on the unique needs of medical educators.
- MedEdPORTAL is available free to the general public and covers the continuum of medical education (i.e., undergraduate, graduate and continuing medical education).
- MedEdPORTAL does not accept submissions for resources that are for sale. All resources published in MedEdPORTAL are available at no cost to the user (excluding possible duplication or mailing costs).
- MedEdPORTAL is constantly being improved and refined through planned application releases.
Joining MedEdPORTAL is free, and anyone can sign up to become a user. Note that login is required to view the full contents of the site.
Following are two screenshots from MedEdPORTAL… the main page:
and the “Collections” links page: