News, Students, Technologies: Welcoming a New Class
August 19, 2010
Posted by on
As those of us in the library begin to meet our newest Class of 2014 medical, dental and doctoral students who have arrived at UCHC this week (and who were likely born in 1988), I am reminded of the Beloit College Mindset List, just published this month. Read it here: http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2014.php
Here is an excerpt from the intro to the 12th edition: “These students [born in 1992] will be armed with iPhones and BlackBerries, on which making a phone call will be only one of many, many functions they will perform. They will now be awash with a computerized technology that will not distinguish information and knowledge. So it will be up to their professors to help them. A generation accustomed to instant access will need to acquire the patience of scholarship. They will discover how to research information in books and journals and not just on-line.”
Folllowing are a few statements from the current list, reflecting on the formative environment of the newest crop of college freshman:
- ” DNA fingerprinting and maps of the human genome have always existed.
- ” Leno and Letterman have always been trading insults on opposing networks.
- ” Unless they found one in their grandparents’ closet, they have never seen a carousel of Kodachrome slides.
- ” Computers have never lacked a CD-ROM disk drive
- ” The first home computer they probably touched was an Apple II or Mac II; they are now in a museum.
- ” The nation has never approved of the job Congress is doing. “
Post Script… Readers, this new WordPress theme is called Twenty Ten.
What do you think of the new blog design? 8)